Thursday, February 22, 2007

A life of sacrifice

Today has been quite insightful for me. I had a good talk with my good friend Javier about how Christianity shouldn't be comfortable. We both agreed that the American church has gotten so into this "comfortable Christianity" that is so contrary to Scriptures.

Maybe some would disagree with me, but I think Christianity is weakened when it becomes a cultural norm--as it has been in the US. Think about it, the early Christians we're always fearing for their safety. Under Nero they were being killed, tortured, imprisoned....looking at history it is easy to see why Paul talks so much in his letters about tribulations and persecution (he himself was in prison half the time because of his faith).

Jesus told us specifically that life would not be easy. He said we are being delivered as sheep to wolves (Matthew 10:16) and that we will be "brought before govenors and kings" (Matt. 10:18). In vs.23 of that same passage it doesn't say "if" they persecute you, it says "when" they persecute you. Persecution and hardship is to be expected! Jesus also says that because the world hated him, we, as His disciples, can expect the same treatment (John 15:18-22).

That my friends is not comfortable Christianity. The kind of Christianity Jesus describes is the hardcore, rebellious, hiding-out-in-catacombs type of Christianity that the early believers were living. This was not the "freedom of religion," IN GOD WE TRUST, "God bless America" type of cultural Christianity that we have in this country.

I'm not suggesting that I want everyone in the country to go secular so that we can live that "underground" movement out...it's more of just a desire that the Church would get out of cultural and start stirring up the pot and making people angry again (in a good, God-like way of course)! "...tribulation builds perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope (Romans 5:3-4). Notice how the first item on the list is tribulation? In order to start this cycle of gaining Godly attributes we need to be TESTED!! beat up, tried, pushed! That is how character is built. How do you know your faith is real if it is never tested? If it is always easy?

And yet what does Paul say just verses before? "Glory in tribulations" (Romans 5:3). And just reading Philippians, a book he wrote when he was imprisoned, you can see was living it out. James also said a similar thing in James 1:2-5: "Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. Let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." Bring on trials...I want to be Christ-like!! What an attitude...

So, how is this lived out? Well, a good example lies in Phlippians. Paul speaks of a fellow Christian, Epaphroditus: "Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness, and hold such men in esteem; because of the work of Christ he came close to death, not regarding his life, to supply what was lacking in your service towards me."

In order to do the work of God, in order to tend to Paul, Epahroditus almost got himself killed--that's living out the faith--and that's the kind of self-sacrificial love Jesus commands His followers to have for one another (John 13:34, 1 John 3:16).

Thinking about this I know that I have live in deep, comfortable Christianity for so much of my life. I want to really live out my faith, not just know it...I just know that Christ calls me to engage the world, not simply hide in desfense of it. I think that I'll definitely be in the front lines when I get into my profession--journalism is not known for being a particularly faith based or Christian friendly :) . But what can I do now? What works does God have for me now--what trials must I endure....?

No comments: